Wednesday, December 03, 2008

My "Sweet" Apple Pie

It was delicious!

















Pretty? Not so much.

I need to post this for my own sake/memory and thought maybe someone else might benefit from having these recipes.

I am going to make another apple pie for Christmas. James, my nephew Spencer and I loved it and we must have another one.

Martha Stewart's Foolproof Pie Crust

2 1/2 C. all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 C. unsalted butter, cut into 1 T. pieces, very cold
1/4 - 1/2 C. cold water

Put the flour, salt and sugar into a food processor and pulse once or twice. (or put it in bowl and stir it). Add the butter and process until the mixture looks grainy. Then slowly, while pulsing, add the water until you can form the dough by pressing it between your fingers. Decant (I had no idea what that meant but I kept going) the loose dough onto a piece of plastic wrap. Using the wrap, fold the loose dough towards the middle and press with the back of your hands to form dough. Split into two pieces (I'm OCD and weighed mine) and wrap each and chill for at least 4 hours before using. Dough can be made ahead for up to one week.

I admit I had a little meltdown while rolling the dough and transferring it to the pie plate. Dave was talking, the TV was blaring, I had music on in the kitchen, children were talking and skipping and singing, the dogs were circling and it was only 8 AM. I screamed at Dave to stop and ordered everyone out of the kitchen. Ugly, I know. :-O I even cursed Martha.

















Classic Apple Pie
America's Test Kitchen


4-6 McIntosh apples, peeled, cored and sliced
3-4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
3/4 C. plus 1 T. sugar
2 T. all-purpose flour
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 recipe for double pie crust
1 egg white, lightly beaten

1. Adjust an oven rack to the lowest position, place a rimmed baking sheet on the rack, and heat the oven to 500 degrees. Toss the apples with 3/4 C. sugar, flour, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and spices and set aside.

2. Roll out the top crust to a 12 inch circle. Spread the apples in the unbaked pie crust bottom, mounding them slight in the middle. (I used a slotted spoon) Lay the top crust over the apples, seal and crimp the edges, and cut four vent holes in the bop. Brush the crust with the egg white and sprinkle with the remaining 1 T. sugar.

3. Place the pie on the heated baking sheet and lower the oven temperature to 425 degrees. Bake until the top crust is golden, about 25 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet, reduce the oven temperature again to 375 degrees, and continue to bake until the juices are bubbling and the crust is deep golden brown, 30-35 minutes longer. Transfer the pie to a wire rack and cool to room temperature before serving.

Enjoy with vanilla bean icecream!

~~~~~~~~~~

Here I am being goofy, waiting for my pie to come out of the oven and acting like Ree:

10 comments:

Dana in Georgia said...

Guess that's *third position* .... from a ballerina's point of view.

Congrats on the pie.

It IS pretty!

Dot O said...

The pie looks delish. I love apple pie with a dollop of vanilla ice cream!. And, as far as the ballerina pose, you gotta do whatever you need to do to make your dessert come out perfect and if it is as simple as just shifting your feet a bit, then go for it!

Donna Boucher said...

I am so proud of you to make a pie and be able to do such a lovely ballet move at the same time.

Cute mules. I want some. I will have to ask for those for christmas.

And by the way, your legs look skinny.

angie {the arthur clan} said...

You are so brave taking on the task of making a pie with all that chaos around you. I think I would have been doing more the cursing! :)

I also think your legs are looking quite skinny...I'm still speechless over your weight loss. So awesome!

Amy said...

Nice pie!

I'm sure you aren't the first person to curse Martha. In fact, I'm positive you aren't.

Anonymous said...

Spencer (9) loved the pie and even knew it was made with the "sour" apples, his kind of apples. He was looking for another piece when we went over to their house on Sat, no chance!

Anonymous said...

Janet! Is that a new picture of you in the corner? It's probably just the same picture in black and white, right? Well, no matter, you are even cuter than the pie.
Which, by the way, is very yummy and charismatic looking. I always use Pillsbury pie crusts- mine didn't look near as pretty as yours and I have zero excuse.
Meltdowns aren't supposed to be funny but yours made me laugh.

Janet said...

Thank you ladies for such a fun day of comments. :)

The slippers are from Costco (of course) and they are Dearform. I couldn't find them on the website when I went looking. I love them so much. My first pair were pink and these are tan.

Anita, yes, that is a new picture of me and I moved it to a different area of the side bar. For some reason I liked it best in black and white.

Junebug said...

I tried that pie crust for Thanksgiving. My daughter and I made a cherry pie with it. It was very flaky. I kept everything cold like suggested. I also made my regular pie crust using Crisco for my pumpkin pies. I think since I am so used to Crisco I like it better but the flakiness was the best from the butter crust.

stephseef said...

ps -
i love america's test kitchen.
that's my most favorite cookbook you've got right there!