Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Brazen

We had a scary morning yesterday. My neighbor discovered her home had been burglarized (after being gone for only 35 minutes). She had entered her home from her garage and the burglars entered and exited from the front door. She spent about 45 minutes in her home, nursing her baby and playing with her on the floor before she discovered the front door closed but the casing from around the door laying on the ground. That's when she panicked and realized a plasma TV was missing from her living room. She grabbed the baby and ran to my house in tears, understandably. I helped her with the baby and we called 911.

The robbers kicked the front door open. Deadbolt and all. Isn't that brazen?

Our dear neighbors (and our family) have learned a lot in the last 24 hours. While there is nothing she could have done to stop these guys there are a few things that they could have had in place to help the police and investigators and cut down on their loss.

1. Write down all the serial numbers to all the electronics in your home and keep them in a safe place. The police have a way of dealing with pawn shops and can often recover the stolen items and ultimately track down the burglars. FYI, they took a laptop, a plasma TV, jewelry and cash.

2. Hide any cash you have in your home. These guys went straight for the master bedroom and opened all the dresser drawers including the nightstands.

3. Hide your jewelry box.

4. Insure items that will be difficult for you to replace. A few years ago I received diamond earrings from Dave and I finally decided to insure 3 pieces of jewelry that are costly and special to me. It took one phone call to our home owners agent and it's very cheap.

5.Install and use a security system. The previous owners of our house had a system installed but we have never activated it. I will be calling today. My neighbor's door may have been broken but the alarm would have sounded and scared them off. Their security system will be installed on Thursday.

When the first police officer arrived he stood with us at my house until two other officers arrived. They needed to search the house and apparently they do that with three officers. It was very humbling/scary when we watched them draw their weapons and start yelling in both English and Spanish as they entered the home. A shiver went down my spine.

I was on edge all day yesterday and still today. It is very unsettling to know that she was being watched and they probably knew her daily routine. This wasn't random.

I have heard several times that dogs are a great deterrent for burglars and I am encouraging my 135 pound pup to bark all he wants and he has taught the young pup to be a big boy and bark like a man. Honestly, the dogs may be the only reason I didn't get targeted. And for that I am very thankful.

I am comforted that God is in control of all things and that He is sovereign. I have nothing to fear.

10 comments:

Staci Eastin said...

So scary. I'm glad everybody's okay.

Laura said...

that would scare me,too. I'll bet everyone in the neighborhood will be watching one another's places a bit carefully now.

Dot O said...

Janet, that is so scary. Glad you were home because she was able to find comfort with you when she needed it most.

Robin in New Jersey said...

Terrible. I'll bet your neighbor is glad you were home and able to help her.

Donna Boucher said...

So happy they were just after the loot and not intending to hurt anyone.

Seems robbing has become much more prevalent in the last year.

Did you get a new dog???

stephseef said...

Janet, I stopped by to leave you a happy message and then read this and stopped to thank God for protecting you, and your neighbor. Scary. I, too, am glad you were there to be helpful for her....

The happy message I wanted to leave is that I am COMPLETELY obsessed with America's Test Kitchen. It's the only cooking show i MUST watch. I have 2 seasons on DVD and put them in... like old friends. I credit ATK with teaching me how to cook... to the level that I can, which ain't much yet, :), but is slowly improving....

have a good day! be safe...

Janet said...

Thank you ladies! We are safe and taking extra precautions. Including home security systems.

Because I am "The Woman Who Fosters Everyone's Dog"....We have Keith's doggie who is a 4 yo Golden Retriever until they can move in to a home with a yard. That might be a few years. We love him soooo much. He is very sassy and fun and I'm not kidding about Dillon teaching him to be a big boy. :)

Donna Boucher said...

Pictures!!!!

Tammy said...

It is an awful thing...

Our house was broken into a LONG time ago - I don't think we even had kids yet - and it was not only a scary feeling, but really uncomfortable to know that someone went through all our belongings :::sigh:::

So thank you for reminding me that our barking dogs ARE a good thing as I haven't been thinking pleasant things about them lately :-p

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Anonymous said...

Janet
sorry about your neighbor. Last spring a bunch of houses around us were broken into. Because we have my whiskey, the 135# boxer/mastiff and Lucie, the 6 month old, 50# lab/mastiff. Most people don't come near my house.
Kris Schwarz