Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Bitesize Book Review

When I find a great book I like to share it with as many people that will read it. I like to purchase several to have on hand and be able to give them away as needed. The book The Duties of Parents by J.C. Ryle is one of those books. I have purchased 10 at a time to be able share them with others.

I feel the same way about Bitesize Theology by Peter Jeffery. It's a little gem of a book. It is described as "an abc of the Christian faith". It has concise explanations of theological terms and concepts. I really like the "Think About It" section at the end of each chapter as well as the "It's Worth Quoting" quotes.




Here's what John MacArthur says about the book:

"Peter Jeffery has a unique gift for presenting difficult concepts precisely, with clear and simple language. Bitesize theology is both sound and simple- a combination that is all too rare in modern evangelical literature. This is an invaluable resource for both lay people and serious students of theology"


And here is a "It's Worth Quoting" quote from the chapter titled "God" to spark your interest:

"Nothing will so enlarge your intellect, nothing so magnify the whole soul of man, as a devout, earnest, continued investigation of the great subject of the Deity. Would you lose your sorrow? Would you drown your cares? Then go, plunge yourself in the Godhead's deepest sea; be lost in his immensity; and you shall come forth as from a couch of rest, refreshed and invigorated. I know nothing which can so comfort the soul; so calm the swelling billows of sorrow and grief; so speak peace to the winds of trial, as a devout musing upon the subject of the Godhead"

C.H. Spurgeon

2 comments:

Donna Boucher said...

Sounds great. I think I will ask for that little book for Christmas!

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I just ordered the Bite sized Theology. Can't wait for it to come.